Monday, October 11, 2010

Shout Out to the Courageous

I wasn't planning on posting today but I read something that was so moving I couldn't help it. Today's CNN International page featured what I think is a very important article about blogging around the world and the challenges bloggers face in restrictive countries. It featured photographs and mini-biographies of five courageous men and women from all over the world who have been persecuted for their blogs. In their blogs they broach a variety of controversial topics- some post videos of police brutality, others speak out for homosexuality, all are advocates in their own right. Because of their free speech many have been jailed, some faced torture and even more were detained without cause. One of these people is a 19-year-old Syrian girl. Blogging is something I just happened to fall into. It is something I truly enjoy but not something that defines me. Yet I am struck by the camaraderie I feel with these people who also 'take up the pen' online. I admire their staunch perseverance and brazenness courage and feel slightly honored to be amongst the ranks of a community called 'bloggers' of which they are also a part. So in honor of these people who tempt the unspeakable by speaking I'd like to pay tribute to their lives in reverence and solidarity. May we all have the courage to be so brave and may the five here, added to countless others the world over, never stop blogging for justice.

No comments: