Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Over the Hump with Peace Corps, Charlie Sheen and Muammar Gaddafi

This kind of made me want to cry. Ok, if it weren't loading so slowly and played so haltingly because of my internet, I definitely would have cried. It is another video in the parade of digital material marking the celebration of Peace Corps' 50th anniversary. Every once in a while I'll see something like this and my chest will swell to an impossible volume. I'm painfully proud to be a part of something so historic and magnificent; being a member of an organization with such a tradition of kindness is something I can stand by with every fiber of my being. It's also neat to know that somehow I'm distantly connected with the phenomenal people that are interviewed in this video. I truly admire the older generations who came to Peace Corps before me without any technology. They were forced to rely on their willpower and spirit of adventure to get them through their two years, as opposed to plugging into cell phones and blogs. I know both experiences are valid, but sometimes I want to wish away all the things connecting me to the outside world and retreat into the life captured in the black and white images of the first volunteers. At any rate, enjoy! Hope this helps you over the hump- the images in this video are simply stunning, perfect for a lunch hour escape. Be sure to check out Mongolia at 3:19 (holler!). And try to figure out how I can get my hands on a koala like the girl at 2:03 stat!



*Also, if you have a few more minutes, this this is probably the funniest and most terrifying thing you can do. The game? Charlie Sheen v Muammar Gaddafi: Whose Line Is It Anyway? I only got 4 right out of 10. Good Lord!

2 comments:

E in Atlanta said...

This is such a great view of the Peace Corp! you are lucky to be part of it...and they are lucky that you are!

Anonymous said...

Haha, I got 8 out of the 10, but only because you warned me. incredible!