Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Pensive Wednesday

Seems I was in UB at all the right news moments. I was able to catch both the Royal Wedding and Osama bin Laden's death live on BBC at the Peace Corps Office. Not that the two events are comparable in content, but in significance they both are outstanding, though one is purely for entertainment value and the other has far reaching global consequences. When the news hit that bin Laden had been killed, I was struck with a mix of emotions. It was the demise of a terrible man, yes. But then again in some way this validated the loss of billions of dollars and thousands of lives, even those those of innocent children. And as mobs of screaming Americans flashed across the only televised news I have been able to watch in two years, I was almost disgusted. The only other time I have been so take aback by a reaction of joy at brutality is when, in the midst of a tearful, exhilarated celebration marking Obama's electoral victory, people began burning McCain signs. Success, not failure, is to be celebrated. So I leave you with this quote from Dr. King and perhaps some worthwhile reflections, such as these words gave me.

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that" - Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments: