Saturday, November 19, 2011

Hello, Bangkok!

Against my better judgement I went to Bangkok last weekend. I was in dire need of a break and the weekend away was a tonic for my stress-addled soul. The floods made my decision to go a little complicated. I was torn. Not going meant that would there would be more resources for the people there who truly need them (not to mention flood-borne illness and crocodiles allegedly on the loose). But then again if I went it would support the local economy the tiniest bit and my friends had an awesome and free crash pad. So I womaned up, made a choice and 5 hours before the flight I found myself booking a ticket while frantically packing my bag. And it turned out that despite the presence of sandbags in every threshold, central Bangkok was totally fine. I was a little disappointed there weren't any crocodiles to wrestle but there was a healthy amount of pad thai eating, silk browsing and poolside chilling (that did feel a little soulless). Below are a few pics I snagged of our little holiday.
And- what would you have done? Would you have gone to a flooded city or stayed home? I still don't know if going was the right thing.
Flying high!
En route.
My first Thai street food adventure.
A street bar.
The city by night on our first day.
Getting my banana crepe on.
Meat on a stick! It's everywhere.
Cityscape twilight.
Drinks over the Mekong.
Bright lights, big city.
Lots of drinking water at the alter.
At an art museum!
Very telling...
We saw a mime show!
A cool street we found.
Good eats.
Good moooorning, Bangkok.
In the truly plush apartment we stayed at.
Floods from the sky.
Chalk panda says come back soon. Yes please!

No comments: