Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Wise Words from Fred

As I leave for vacation until January, I want to leave you with this wee morsel from A Christmas Carol. As you might know, it is my favorite holiday tale. I love it because it is the work that embodies all the things I strive to live by: sympathy, kindness, charity, humanity. Regardless of your religion or creed I feel that the message of love for your fellow man is an important one and one that is communicated so well in this "ghostly little book" as Dickens called it. And in it I think Fred, Ebenezer Scrooge's nephew, puts it best when he says:

I am sure I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round...as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time; the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow-passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys.

May we all open our hearts and minds in love. Happy Holidays to everyone.

No comments: